Mammoth Lakes receives some of the heaviest snowfall in California. During heavy snowfall, please stay off the roads to let our snow removal operators clear the roads and sidewalks. Don’t put on chains when you have to – put on chains before you need them. Stopping in roadways is dangerous and is to be avoided. We recommend you park your vehicle (off the roadway and behind the orange snow stakes). If you aren't comfortable driving in wintry conditions, let the professionals at Eastern Sierra Transit Authority do the driving for you.
Be Snow Smart this winter by observing a few winter rules and lifesaving tips:
- KEEP YOUR HEAD UP and WATCH FOR FALLING SNOW AND ICE!
- Look out for and obey all posted traffic signage - especially regarding speed limits and chain controls. When chain control conditions are in effect, the maximum speed limit throughout town is 25 mph
- Slow down - speeding is a major cause of winter accidents.
- Keep your distance from snow removal equipment and pass with extreme caution.
- It is a violation of the Town of Mammoth Lakes municipal code to park on any roadway from November 1 through April 30.
- Park all vehicles, including boats and trailers, as far off the roadway as possible and inside the orange snow stakes.
- Clear snow off your roof and around the entranceways, maintain access to your propane tanks and keep your exterior exhaust vents clear of snow.
Winter Storm Resources
Please click here to view our Winter SnowSmart Page for links to road and highway conditions (800-427-ROAD), current chain restrictions, a list of Tow companies, Taxi & Shuttle services, and more!
Please report outages (Outages, Lines Down, Street Light Repair, etc.) by calling SCE at (800) 611-1911 or by visiting the SCE Outage Center.
Please click here for Emergency Information, visit Ready Mono, or call 911 for assistance.