Did you know that nightly rentals are restricted by zoning regulations within Mammoth Lakes?
- Before a property can be rented on a nightly basis, applicants are subject to an approval process as well as a property rental inspection.
- A condition of approval is based on the zone in which the property is located. The Town zoning map consists of 19 different zoning designations. The zoning designations where nightly rentals are allowed include, Downtown, Residential Multi-Family 2, Resort, North Village Specific Plan and Mixed Lodging/Residential.
- There are several resources available to determine if a property can be rented on a nightly basis. Under the Finance Department section on the Town website is a page titled, Transient Occupancy Tax Information, where potential operators can research the Town zoning map, the Town Zoning Guide and a TOT Property Search Tool.
- The Town has a team dedicated to assisting owners and property managers in obtaining the certifications necessary to conduct legal nightly rentals.
- The maximum fines for conducting illegal nightly rentals have recently been approved by the Mammoth Lakes Town Council to increase from $1,000 per day up to $5,000 per day.
- The Finance Department can answer questions from property owners and realtors confirming the eligibility of a property to be rented nightly based on the zoning restrictions.
If you have questions about zoning for nightly rentals, please contact the Finance Department at (760) 965-3660.