1. ACT LIKE A CAR: Driver’s are used to driving patterns of other vehicles. Ride in a predictable manner and don’t weave in and out of traffic.
2. STOP FOR STOP SIGNS AND RED LIGHTS: Bicyclists are required by law to stop for all stop signs and red lights.
3. RIDE WITH THE FLOW OF TRAFFIC: Bicyclists must ride in the same direction as vehicles on a roadway.
4. OBEY THE SPEED LIMIT: A bicyclist shall obey all posted speed limits. When moving at a speed slower than the normal traffic, stay near the right edge of the roadway.
5. WEAR A HELMET: Helmets are recommended for all riders and are required for any rider under 18 years of age. Helmets must meet the standards of the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) or SNELL.
6. BICYCLE LIGHTING IS REQUIRED DURING DARKNESS: When riding at night, a bicycle must be equipped with a white head lamp attached to the bicycle or rider’s body, visible from 300 feet to the front and sides. Reflectors are also required.
7. FOLLOW THE RULES OF THE ROAD: Bicyclists may ride on the side walk in the Town of Mammoth Lakes, but once you enter the roadway you are required to follow all rules of the road.
8. HEADPHONES COVERING BOTH EARS ARE ILLEGAL: A bicyclist may not ride with headphones covering both ears. The ability to hear a dangerous situation is just as important as seeing a dangerous situation.
9. USE THE BIKE LANE: Whenever there is a bike lane, a bicyclist must use it when moving slower than normal traffic speed.
10. USE HAND SIGNALS: Give proper hand signals so motorist are aware of your intentions.
The Mammoth Lakes Police Department wishes everyone a safe and fun ride!