It’s Game On! this July for National Parks and Recreation Month. Come celebrate with the Parks and Recreation Department in a variety of fun events, camps, programs and activities planned for our residents and visitors of all ages and abilities.
Since 1985, America has celebrated July as Park and Recreation Month. A program of the National Recreation and Park Association (NRPA), the goal is to raise awareness of the vital impact that parks and recreation has on communities across the United States.
On June 26, the Mammoth Lakes Town Council adopted a Proclamation declaring July 2019 as Park and Recreation Month. This action affirmed that parks and recreation is vitally important to establishing and maintaining quality of life, ensuring the health of all citizens, and contributing to the economic and environmental well-being of our community.
“From providing safe places to play, get fit and stay healthy, to fostering new relationships and forging a connection with nature, our community park and recreation facilities and signature camps and programs deliver an enhanced quality of life for our many residents and visitors,” stated Stuart Brown, Parks and Recreation Director. “The Parks and Recreation Department is proud to be part of this nationwide event and month-long celebration to highlight the power of play and essential value of local parks and recreation.”
ALL RECREATION – ALL THE TIME!
Help us celebrate the power of play with these featured events and programs this July. It’s Game on!
FREE Skate Night at the Mammoth RecZone
• July 5, 12, 19 & 26 / 6:00-8:00pm
• Enjoy complementary admission and skates at the Mammoth RecZone every Friday evening in July
FREE Swim Sunday at the Whitmore Pool
• July 7, 14, 21 & 28 / 12:00-6:00pm
• Free swim day at Whitmore Pool every Sunday in July
Men's Softball Tournament
• July 13-14 / 8:00am - 5:00pm
• Annual Men's Softball Tournament at the Shady Rest Softball Fields (Sawmill Cutoff Road) - a slow-pitch, round robin tournament with single elimination playoffs and a home run derby.
Coed Softball Tournament
• July 20-21 / 8:00am - 5:00pm
• Annual Coed Softball Tournament at the Shady Rest Softball Fields (Sawmill Cutoff Road) - a slow-pitch, round robin tournament with single elimination playoffs and a home run derby.
Kids Fishing Festival
• July 27 / 8:00am - 1:00pm
• FREE Annual Kids Fishing Festival open to kids 14 years and under at the ponds adjacent to the Snowcreek Resort Rental office (1254 Old Mammoth Road). Reels provided, or bring your own.
Coed Beach Volleyball Tournament
• July 27 / 12:00 - 6:00pm
• 3rd Annual Coed Beach Volleyball Tournament at the Shady Rest Sand Volleyball Courts (Sawmill Cutoff Road). 4v4 coed teams. Must have at least 1 female player on court at all times and up 6 registered players per team. 14+ years and older. Advance registration required.
July Camps, Lessons and Programs
• In addition to our many signature summer events, check out the many fun camps, lessons and programs on offer this July in Mammoth Lakes.
• Register for Climbing Camp, Mono Arts Council Kids Summer Art Camp, Wave Rave Skate Camp, Mammoth Adventure Camp, Girl Power Summer Camp, Youth Tennis Camp, Challenger Sports Soccer Camp, Mountain Bike Camp, Aquatics Camp, Adult Tennis Camp & Social, UK Soccer Camp, group/private swim lessons, drop-in tennis clinics and the annual Adult Summer Softball League at Shady Rest Park.
Visit www.Mammothparksandrec.com or call (760) 965-3690 for a comprehensive list of July events and programs.
We encourage the community to share why they think play is so important with the hashtag #GameOnJuly.
It’s all recreation – all the time with the Town of Mammoth Lakes Parks and Recreation Department!