The forest is basing this decision on national level fire activity, local fire activity, and the availability of firefighters for response. Effective July 14, 2018 and until further notice, the following restrictions will be in effect:
• No campfires, briquette barbeques, or stove fires are allowed outside of designated developed recreation sites and specifically posted campsites or areas.
• Persons with a valid California Campfire Permit (available free of charge at visitor center or online at http://www.preventwildfireca.org/Campfire-Permit/) are not exempt from the prohibitions but are allowed to use portable stoves or lanterns using gas, jellied petroleum, or pressurized liquid fuel.
• No fireworks. It is prohibited to possess or discharge any fireworks, including “safe and sane” fireworks.
• No smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle or building, a developed recreation site, or while stopped in an area at least three feet in diameter that is barren or cleared of all flammable material.
Resorts, pack stations, recreation residences and other sites operated under special use permit from the U.S. Forest Service may be exempt from the special orders, as long as any fire activity is conducted in compliance with their permit. Residents and visitors are reminded that simple steps can help prevent human-caused fires:
• Prevent vehicle related fires by maintaining proper tire pressure, ensuring adequate tire tread, and checking your brakes for overheating. Avoid traveling or parking on brush or grass. Ensure chains are not dragging while towing.
• Make sure your campfire is dead out! Drown it, stir it, feel it. If it’s not cool to the touch, it isn’t out.
• Use of exploding targets, such as Binary Explosive Targets, and tracer rounds, while recreationally shooting is both a fire hazard and illegal. The use of steel-core ammunition, although legal, can greatly increase the chance of a wildfire.
• Motorcycles, ATV’s and chainsaws require an approved spark arrestor.
Help prevent wildfires…..One Less Spark, One Less Wildfire.