Plan Mammoth Creek Park
The Town of Mammoth Lakes has begun the process to plan, design and construct Community Multi-Use Facilities at Mammoth Creek Park. The Town has allocated funding for the initial planning, preliminary design and the environmental documentation effort. The Town has also identified the majority of funding for the Multi-use Facility. If approved, these facilities are planned to be located on Town-owned land within Mammoth Creek Park on the west side of Old Mammoth Road. The project includes three major components: a multi-use facility, complementary community center, and a playground with inclusive components.
It is the intent of the Town to create a ‘recreation destination’ that the entire community of Mammoth Lakes will actively enjoy, value and ultimately be proud to call their Park. The guiding principle builds from the “A Town within a Park” concept that will deliver local residents and visitors high-quality complementary recreation facilities at Mammoth Creek Park. The proposed improvements will be designed to work with the existing play areas and parking. Complementary programming will promote a degree of excitement, individual expression, exploration, pleasure, challenge and accomplishment leading to an enhanced quality of life.
This website is the source for the project and includes information on the existing Multi-use Facility and Community Center, the site (Mammoth Creek Park West), the project timeline, community engagement(How you can participate), the environmental review and facilities planning/design process, and finally facilities programming (How you want to play!).
- May 16, 2018 - Town staff with HMC in attendance provided a presentation to Town Council that included a review of the cost estimation process, bid information volunteered by General Contractors and Subs, areas where specification changes would result in savings, and the main issue, the escalating cost of structural steel and the volatile construction climate.
- May 2, 2018 - Town Council formally rejected the two bids received and directed staff to conduct a forensic review of the project, including process, design and bidding
- April 18, 2018 - Town staff presented a detailed update of the project to Town Council, including programming, design enhancements, estimated project cost, upcoming bid opening and alternatives and next steps. Review the presentation.
- April 3, 2018 - Town staff presented a detailed update of the project to the Recreation Commission, including the 2017/18 Mammoth Ice Rink Season Presentation.
- March 7, 2018 - Town Council adopts Resolution No. 18-13 allocating $675,000 in general fund support to Mammoth Lakes Tourism to provide support funding for a sponsorship partnership with Mammoth Resorts and the Los Angeles Kings.
- July 7, 2017 - Town Council awarded the contract for the required site work at Mammoth Creek Park West that includes the reorientation of the existing playground.
- June 6, 2017 - The Recreation Commission received a detailed update of progress to date regarding the Community Multi-Use Recreation Facilities project including the Environmental Impact Report (EIR) Process, Project Financing, Fundraising Strategies, Construction and Design, Programming Project Team and the MUSD/MCOE Lease. Review the June 6 Staff Report.
- May 17, 2017 - Town Council certified the Environmental Impact Report for the Mammoth Creek Park West New Community Multi-Use Facilities Project. On May 10 the Planning and Economic Development Commission recommended certification of the EIR to the Town Council. Review the Final EIR/Response to Comments document for the Mammoth Creek Park West New Community Multi-Use Facilities project.
- May 17, 2017 - Town Council approved the Recreation Commission and Mammoth Lakes Recreation recommended financing package for the entire project in the amount of $9.5 million. The financing package includes bond proceeds of $4.9 million secured by Measure R, the allocation of fund balance reserves of $2.6 million from Measure R, $500,000 from Measure U and $1.5 million from fundraising. Review the Financing Options Presentation.
- March 15, 2017 - Town staff presented a detailed update of the project to Town Council, including phasing alternatives, programming and next steps. Review the presentation.
- December 21, 2016 - Town Council received a comprehensive project update including Discussion of Potential Funding Mechanisms, Architectural and Engineering Design Services Agreement, programming and operations, revenue/expense projections and cost estimates.
- April 20, 2016 - Town Council reviewed the project scope to be used for environmental documentation.
- October 21, 2015 - Town Council accepted the recommendations from the Recreation Commission, Mammoth Lakes Recreation and members of the Ad Hoc Facility Task Force to commence preliminary design and environmental documentation for the location of community recreation facilities within Mammoth Creek Park West.
- July 15, 2015 - Town Council directed staff to work with the Recreation Commission and Mammoth Lakes Recreation on the location, orientation and scope of project at Mammoth Creek Park.
- April 1, 2015 - Town Council directed staff to provide recommendations regarding the relocation of the Multi-use Facility to Mammoth Creek Park West.
- December 2014 - Town staff presented alternatives to Council regarding improvements at the existing facility including permanent/temporary roof structures.
- View The Park presentation
- Review the proposed facility designs for the project.
- "Plan Your Park" included 9 community workshops (177 participants), 25 comments via emails, 5 meetings of the Facilities Programming Committee, 33 online surveys, several detailed 1-1 interviews with facility managers, extensive research, various facility site visits and workshop with YAC. Review the extensive community programming input.
- 149 people signed a petition in support of the project in April, 2017
- Review the Mammoth Ice Rink Playbook
- Review the RecZone Playbook
- Review the Community Center Playbook
- We want to hear from you! The community is encouraged and invited to participate, comment and engage in the plan Mammoth Creek Park process.
- Subscribe to the PlanMCP email distribution list.
- Contact Parks and Recreation Director, Stuart Brown for additional information regarding the project.
Background - Ice Rink History
The Town has been engaged in finding a permanent location for the Multi-Use Facility with a focus on the operation of an ice rink since 1998. A covered ice rink has been highly anticipated by our skating and recreation community.
From 1999-2004 the Town operated a seasonal ice rink at the Mammoth RV Park that was well attended, but escalating operating costs required the Town to find another location for the Facility. In 2007 the Town entered into a long-term agreement with the Mammoth Unified School District (MUSD) and the Mono County Office of Education (MCOE) on two acres of land adjacent to the District offices to construct and operate a Multi-Use Facility. A year-round facility gained momentum in 2007 when the Town was awarded State Park Grants in the amount of approximately $754,000 to construct a permanent Facility. The grants plus Town funds provided for the completion of the facility. A planned roof along with other site improvements was not completed due to escalating costs.
From 2007-2010 the Town operated the ice rink on a temporary basis on leased District property that averaged over 6,000 skaters per winter. In 2011, Measure R funds contributed to the installation of a permanent ice rink slab and from 2012 the Town has been operating the Facility year-round as an ice rink in winter and the Mammoth RecZone (inline/roller skating, skate ramps, volleyball, etc.) in summer. Visitation at the ice rink peaked at 11,209 in 2011/12 and has averaged approximately 7,000+ per year during the four year period.
Click on the link below to review staff reports presented to Town Council or the Recreation Commission, along with any action or direction to staff.
Agendas and Meeting Minutes (link to Granicus)