- Parks and Recreation Department
- Parks & Recreation Plans, Projects & Funding
- Plan Mammoth Creek Park
Plan Mammoth Creek Park
The Town of Mammoth Lakes has begun construction of the new year-round Community Recreation Center at Mammoth Creek Park West. The Community Recreation Center (CRC) will be a fabric tensile structure (commonly called Sprung) enclosing an Olympic size ice rink that will operate in the winter, and in the summer, sport tiles will cover the rink area creating a 20,000 sq. foot Mammoth RecZone. Combined with community driven and professionally branded programming, the year-round recreation center will be the recreation destination that the entire community of Mammoth Lakes will be proud to call their park.
The guiding principle builds from the “A Town within a Park” concept that will deliver local residents and visitors high-quality complementary recreation facilities at Mammoth Creek Park. The proposed improvements will be designed to work with the new inclusive playground, existing play areas and parking. Complementary programming will promote a degree of excitement, individual expression, exploration, pleasure, challenge and accomplishment leading to an enhanced quality of life.
This website is the source for the project and includes information on the existing Multi-use Facility and Community Center, the site (Mammoth Creek Park West), the project milestones, project timeline, community engagement (How you can participate), the environmental review and facilities planning/design process, and finally facilities programming (How you want to play!).
- February 17, 2021 - Town Council awarded the contract to the lowest responsive bidder, Hamel Contracting Inc., to build the new Community Recreation Center (CRC) at Mammoth Creek Park West.
- November 5, 2019 - Town Council affirmed their commitment of the Community Recreation Center by voting to approve the complete $13 million funding package.
- June 5, 2019 - Town Council voted 3-2 to direct staff to proceed with design and development of the fabric tensile structure (Sprung) and return to Town Council to award the contract. Please click here to review the conceptual plans and facility renderings.
- March 6, 2019 - Town Council authorized staff to finalize an agreement with Vanir Construction Management firm for services related to the Community Recreation Center.
- February 20, 2019 - Town Council by motion (4-1) directed staff to continue with plans for siting the project at Mammoth Creek Park West, not MUSD/MCOE property, complete bid plans for a $13 million facility (ice rink/reczone), and prepare a financing plan to secure funds for the project shortfall (approx. $3.8 million).
- View the complete project milestones...
- View the June 5, Town Council Presentation for the Community Recreation Center
- Review the proposed conceptual facility designs for the project.
- "Plan Your Park" included 9 community workshops (177 participants), 25 comments via emails, 5 meetings of the Facilities Programming Committee, 33 online surveys, several detailed 1-1 interviews with facility managers, extensive research, various facility site visits and workshop with YAC. Review the extensive community programming input.
- 149 people signed a petition in support of the project in April, 2017
- Review the Mammoth Ice Rink Playbook
- Review the RecZone Playbook
- Review the Community Center Playbook
- We want to hear from you! The community is encouraged and invited to participate, comment and engage in the plan Mammoth Creek Park process.
- Subscribe to the PlanMCP email distribution list.
- Contact Parks and Recreation Director, Stuart Brown for additional information regarding the project.
Click on the link below to review staff reports presented to Town Council or the Recreation Commission, along with any action or direction to staff.
Agendas and Meeting Minutes (link to Granicus)