Recreation This Week!
ALL RECREATION - ALL THE TIME!
Recreation This Week! is a weekly e-newsletter compiled by the Recreation Department for the community of Mammoth Lakes. In it you will find a weekly sampling of our boundless recreational opportunities in one of the world's most spectacular playgrounds.
Whether you're looking for family fun, learning new things, challenging your endurance or simply rejuvenating the soul, we hope you'll take advantage of what awaits you in Mammoth Lakes.
Recreation This Week - November 15, 2018
Mammoth Mountain is open, there are cooler temperatures in the forecast and even some precipitation. Bring on winter!
- The Mammoth Ice Rink will open on November 23, weather dependent. Join us for a free night of skating and skate rentals following the Holiday Tree Lighting Ceremony in The Village, skate rentals subject to availability. Come skate with us this winter!
- Register for Fall Ice Skating lessons today! This 4-week introductory “Jump-Start Skating” program is for beginner skaters Kindergarten through 8th grade to build confidence on the ice and take full advantage of the upcoming winter season! Adult lessons are available by request. Lessons will take place on Mondays at the Mammoth Ice Rink, grades K-1 is from 3:15 to 3:45, grades 2-5 is from 4:00 to 4:30 pm and grades 6-8 is from 4:45-5:15 p.m. Space is limited, $40, register today!
- The third session of Toddler Time starts on November 27. Each four-week session is held on Tuesdays from 9:30 to 11:00 a.m. at the Mammoth Lakes Community Center. This program is open to all parents with children kindergarten age or younger. Each day will include circle time, songs, books, and a featured letter of the alphabet, a snack, and a craft project. Socialize with other parents and children while teaching your child about basic routines and tasks. Just $48 with a 50% sibling discount; payment is requested at time of enrollment, drop in rates are available. Call Carole Mills at (209) 480-2699 for more information.
- The LA Kings Mammoth Lakes Hockey Camp will be held at the Mammoth Ice Rink November 30 through December 2. Group 1 includes Mite and Squirt divisions and Group 2 includes Peewee, Bantam, and High divisions. All groups will be on the ice together and coached by LA kings alumni and Hockey Development staff. Registration is just $99 and includes four on ice sessions, an end of camp NHL style scrimmage, camp jersey, swag bag, free giveaways, awards and more! Register today!
- Don’t miss Playhouse 395’s “Willie Wonka Jr.” Shows continue this weekend, Friday November 16 and Saturday, November 17, 7:00 p.m., at Bishop High School. Take a journey of pure imagination with your favorite characters from this Roald Dahl classic. Appropriate for the whole family, get your tickets today!
- The Eastern Sierra Basket Weaving Gathering is on Saturday, November 17 beginning at 8:30 a.m. at the Barlow gym. Enjoy a day full of hands-on workshops, discussions and socialization featuring local Paiute and Shoshone weavers this Saturday!
- Tap into your creative side with Creative Game Night at the Nest on Tuesday, November 20 from 6:00 to 9:00 p.m. Join in on a variety of creative games to unlock your inner genius!
- Get your Thanksgiving off on the right foot with the Thanksgiving Turkey Trot at 9:00 a.m. Thursday, November 22 at Mammoth Creek Park. Take your lungs on a light jog at 8,000' before your Thanksgiving feast!
- Join Eastside Velo on a free Thanksgiving Day Gravel/ Mountain Bike tour on Thursday, November 22 at 11:30 a.m. Meet at Mammoth Creek Park with your mountain bike for this two-hour free tour!
- Thanksgiving Activities and Family Fun is happening all around town for the holiday weekend. Kick off the holiday with our Annual Turkey Trot on Thursday, enjoy the Tree Lighting Ceremony in the village on Friday and even meet up with Woolly and Santa! Wrap up the weekend with live music and rail jam at Main Lodge on Saturday. Something for everyone this holiday weekend in Mammoth!
- Take the plunge and purchase some lightly used XC Ski Equipment at Tamarack Used Equipment Sale on Friday, November 23, 8:00 a.m. at Tamarack XC Ski Center. Get away from it all and enjoy some quiet solitude while getting a great workout this winter!
- Help us ring in the holiday season with The Village and Town of Mammoth Lakes Tree Lighting Ceremony on Friday, November 23. Live music begins in The Village Plaza at 5:30 p.m. followed by the Tree Lighting Ceremony with Woolly and Santa at 6:30 p.m. Enjoy this free family-friendly community event and kick this holiday season off right!
- Cardinal Village begins the holiday weekend with their Ladies Only Black Friday Shopping Event on November 23 from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. followed by the start of their Annual Christmas Festival held Saturday, November 24 and Sunday, November 25 from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Enjoy arts and crafts, photos with Santa, the holiday café and more!
- A Christmas Carol – November 29-December 2
- Eastern Sierra Avalanche Center Annual Fundraiser – December 1
- Bishop Christmas Parade – December 1
- Backcountry Film Festival – December 7
- DSES Whiteout Extravaganza – December 8
- Railroad Express – December 8
- Mammoth Brewery Comedy Night – December 8
- Poetry Out Loud – December 15
- Night of Lights – December 15
- December Full Moon Snowshoe Tour- - December 20-21
- June Mountain Opening Day – December 21
- Woolly’s Saturday Parade – December 22
- Bucky’s Bonfire at June Mountain – December 22
- Mammoth Lakes Library October Calendar
- Chamber of Commerce Events
Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!
Subscribe to Recreation This Week or contact Lauren Plum at or (760) 965-3699. This is an opt-in e-newsletter and will not be sold or used for any other purpose.
Access the Recreation This Week Archive to catch up on all the news, events or programs that you missed!