Recreation This Week!
ALL RECREATION - ALL THE TIME!
Recreation This Week! is a weekly e-newsletter compiled by the Recreation Department for the community of Mammoth Lakes. In it you will find a weekly sampling of our boundless recreational opportunities in one of the world's most spectacular playgrounds.
Whether you're looking for family fun, learning new things, challenging your endurance or simply rejuvenating the soul, we hope you'll take advantage of what awaits you in Mammoth Lakes.
Recreation This Week - September 20, 2018
- Community Center Tennis Program
- Only two sessions left! Adult Drop-In Tennis Clinics are available for intermediate and advanced adults on September 25 and October 2 from 3:30 until 5:00 p.m. Each session is just $10 per person. Drop in this Tuesday!
- Toddler Time is back at the Mammoth Lakes Community Center beginning Tuesday, September 25 from 9:30 to 11:00 a.m. This program is open to all parents with children kindergarten age or younger. Each day will include circle time, songs, books, a featured letter of the alphabet, a snack, and a craft project. Socialize with other parents and children while teaching your child about basic routines and tasks. Each 4-week session is $48 with a 50% sibling discount; payment is requested at time of enrollment. Call Carole Mills at (209) 480-2699 for more information.
- Mark your calendars! Mammoth Parks and Rec’s annual Halloween Party and Haunted Roller Rink is Friday, October 26 from 5:00 to 8:00 p.m. at the RecZone. This costume party on wheels is a Mammoth tradition. Admission is $5 for participants on wheels and includes skate rentals, carnival-style games, entry into the costume contest, and the most fun you can have as an elementary aged child in Mammoth on a Friday night. Concessions and cakewalk are extra. Scooters, skateboards, skates, and striders welcome! Save the date today!
- Join the festivities at Mammoth Oktoberfest this Friday, September 21 beginning at 1:00 p.m. and Saturday, September 22 beginning at noon in the Village. Food, beer, live music, crafts for the kids, and more. Embrace your competitive spirit on Saturday with a bier run, keg toss, stein holding and tug-o-war competitions. Celebrate Oktoberfest Mammoth this weekend!
- Head to Main Lodge for the Mammoth premier of Red Bull Media House and Freeride Entertainment’s North of Nightfall on Friday, September 21 at 6:00 p.m. Explore mountain bike lines hidden among the glaciers on Axel Heiberg Island, high in the Arctic Circle, in this extreme adventure. Admission is free and seats are first come, first served.
- Mammoth Kamikaze Bike Games starts Friday, September 21 and continues through Sunday, September 23 at Main Lodge. This multi-disciplined bike event offers something for every level and age of mountain bike enthusiasts. Enter the competition or enjoy the festivities and expo as a spectator this weekend at Main Lodge.
- Millpond Music Festival is this weekend, Friday, September 21 through Sunday, September 23. This is an annual laid-back, family-friendly, music festival held at Millpond Recreation Area in support of Inyo Arts Council. Tickets are still available at the gate.
- Celebrate National Public Lands Day on Saturday, September 22 by visiting a National Park for free, volunteering for a work project, or sharing your favorite outdoor activity on social media. Get outdoors this Saturday and enjoy your public lands!
- Join Friends of the Inyo on a Botany Hike at Rock Creek Lakes Resort on Saturday, September 22 from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. This three hour walk is open to all ages and will go over botany of the Eastern Sierras including trees, wildflowers, mushrooms and more!
- The Eastern Sierra Audubon Society is hosting a field trip, Birding the Inyo Craters, on Saturday, September 22 from 8:00 to 11:00 a.m. Meet at the Inyo Craters Trailhead and mingle with fellow bird lovers as you take a leisurely walk through an old growth Jeffery pine forest before ending up at the craters, a landing spot for migratory waterbirds.
- Take in a live performance at Edison Theatre this weekend. Dreamscape will show Saturday, September 22 at 7:00 p.m. and Sunday, September 23 at 4:00 p.m. This powerful show will take a look at the relationships between race, body and violence and is rated PG-13. Get your tickets today!
- The Felici Piano Trio “The Night Visitors” performance will be held at Cerro Coso College in Mammoth Lakes on Saturday, September 22 at 7:30 p.m and at Cerro Coso College in Bishop on Sunday, September 23 at 4:00 p.m. Immerse yourself in the music of Beethoven, Menotti and Brahms this weekend, get your tickets today!
- Mammoth Library’s September Brown Bag Book Club: Lab Girl will take place on Monday, September 24 in the Ellie Randol Reading Room. Bring your lunch and discuss the book Lab Girl.
- Pint$ 4 Non Profit$ Fall Program begins Wednesday, September 26 and continues each Wednesday at 5:00 p.m. through November 14 at the Mammoth Lakes Brewery. Each week features a different non-profit speaker and offers a chance to discuss health, environment, art and mountain culture. One dollar of each pint goes to the featured non-profit each week. Wednesday, September 26’s non-profit is Eastern Sierra Land Trust and the speaker is Rick Kattelmann who will present Seeking Snow: Central Asia to the Sierra. Grab a beer and support your local non-profits each Wednesday.
- 2018 Astronomy Fall Lecture Series continues on Thursday, September 27 at Cerro Coso College Bishop from 6:00 to 7:00 p.m. This month’s speaker is Davide Farnoccia from JPL who will present “Oumuamua, The First Known Interstellar Visitor.”
- Bishop Pabanamanina Pow Wow 2018 – September 28
- Hot Havana Nights – September 29
- Bridgeport Autumn Festival & Car Show – September 29
- 29th Annual Lone Pine Film Festival – October 5-8
- Fall Colors Cruise & Car Show- October 5-7
- Spooktacular! – October 6
- Diamond Masquerade Ball – October 6
- Bodie Sunset Photo Day – October 6
- Crowley Lake 5K-10K Trail Run – October 7
- 2018 Astronomy Fall Lecture Series – October 11
- Mountain Film on Tour – October 12-13
- Eastern Sierra Audubon Monthly Bird Walks – October 13
- Bodie Sunrise Photo Day – October 13
- 2nd Annual Fall Harvest Celebration – October 13
- Eastern Sierra Cancer Alliance 5K Walk/Run – October 20
- Friends of the Inyo Interpretive Programs
- Mono Basin Seminars
- Chamber of Commerce Events
- Mono County’s Wildfire Smoke Webpage
Have a great weekend!
Subscribe to Recreation This Week or contact Lauren Plum at or (760) 965-3699. This is an opt-in e-newsletter and will not be sold or used for any other purpose.
Access the Recreation This Week Archive to catch up on all the news, events or programs that you missed!