Recreation This Week!
ALL RECREATION - ALL THE TIME!
Recreation This Week! is a weekly e-newsletter compiled by the Recreation Department for the community of Mammoth Lakes. In it you will find a weekly sampling of our boundless recreational opportunities in one of the world's most spectacular playgrounds.
Whether you're looking for family fun, learning new things, challenging your endurance or simply rejuvenating the soul, we hope you'll take advantage of what awaits you in Mammoth Lakes.
Recreation This Week - April 11, 2019
Mammoth families celebrate spring break this upcoming week! Wishing all our locals safe travels if you’re headed out of town. If you are staying in the area check out some of the fun recreation activities available this next week below…
Come celebrate Easter with the Mammoth Parks and Recreation at our annual Easter Egg Hunt. The hunt will take place at Mammoth Creek Park on Friday, April 19 from 3:00 to 4:00 p.m. This annual event is fun for the whole family with three different hunting grounds for kiddos of all ages. We have added six more golden eggs this year (three golden eggs per age group) and 4,000 eggs. Get there early to make a guess on the jellybean jar and stake out your spot on our start line. The hunt will begin promptly at 3:15p.m. Remember to bring a bag for all your goodies!
- Yoga continues each Sunday evening at the community center! Stretch and clear your mind each Sunday evening at 5:30 p.m. A suggested donation of $5-$10.
- Join a SMG Backcountry Tour, occurring each Wednesday through April 17. Take advantage of epic conditions and register today!
- Adult Volleyball continues to play on Wednesday evenings at the Mammoth Middle School Gym. Matches take place at 6:00 or 7:30 p.m. Come check out a match next week!
- Registration for Little Slugger T-Ball is now open. Introduce your 2 to 5 year old to the sport of baseball with this fun, safe and educational program. Parent involvement is required. Little Slugger T-Ball will be held on Wednesday evenings from 5:15 to 6:00 p.m. at the Mammoth Elementary School fields. This program begins May 1 and continues on Wednesday evenings through June 5. Register today!
- Summer Camp Update
- We continue to address our waitlists for summer camps. We spent the week contacting people as spots become available and was able to extend spots to 22 people on our waitlist. Furthermore, we are exploring our options to expand our recreation opportunities for children this summer both within our department and with other recreation providers. We will continue to update you via this newsletter and email but if you have any questions or concerns please contact us via phone, email or in person (my contact information is below). Thanks!
- Available Summer Camp Spots:
- Mammoth Repertory Theatre and Sierra Classic Theatre present Summer and Smoke showing at Edison Theatre through April 14, Thursday through Saturday evenings at 7:00 p.m. or Sundays at 4:00 p.m. get your tickets today!
- Eastern Sierra Audubon Monthly Bird Walk is Saturday, April 13 at 8:30 a.m. All levels of birders are welcome! Interested parties should meet at the BLM/Forest Service building in Bishop on West Line Street. Meet some fellow birders, pick up some tips and enjoy your morning!
- Take advantage of the season and join the California Department of Fish and Wildlife along with the Sierra Nevada Bighorn Sheep Foundation on a Sierra Bighorn Field Trip on Saturday, April 13, pre-registration is required as space is limited. To register email email@example.com. There are only approximately 600 of these animals in the whole world and now is one of the best times to see them in the wild before they retreat to higher elevations. Dress for the weather including sturdy shoes and don’t forget sun protection and binoculars!
- Celebrate the conclusion of another epic season of cross-country skiing, snowshoeing and skate skiing with Tamarack Cross-Country Ski Center this Sunday, April 14. Dress in your craziest costumes and try to ski all the groomed tracks Tamarack has to offer, or at least make it to the five different stations for your Mardi Gras beads and poker hand cards. Potluck lunch to follow.
- Grab a cup of Coffee with a Cop on Wednesday, April 17 from 9:00 to 10:00 a.m. at the Mammoth Starbucks (Main Street and Sierra Park Road). Get to know your local police force and other members of your local community this upcoming Wednesday!
- Easter Egg Hunt – April 19
- Rattlesnake Avoidance Training for Dogs – April 19
- Easter Egg Hunt at Sierra Nevada Resort and Spa – April 20
- Mammoth Lakes Earth Day Celebration – April 20
- Millpond Disc Golf Tournament – April 20
- Easter Sunday Parade – April 21
- Annual Pond Skim at Canyon Lodge – April 21
- Playhouse 395 “Mamma Mia” – April 26-May 11
- Owens Lake Bird Festival – April 26-28
- Winter Ezakimak Challenge – April 27
- Summit Sunset Party – April 27
- Opening Day of Fishing in Mono County – April 27
- Felici Piano Trio: Childs Play – April 27
- Adventure and Inspirational Speaker: Sequoia Schmidt – April 28
- Opening Ceremony – Mono County Little League – May 4
- Ski Mountaineering Challenge – May 4
- Unbound Party in the Park – May 4
- GardenFest Celebration – May 4
- Wild Wild West 50M, 50K, Marathon + 10M – May 4
- Choo Choo Swap Meet- May 4
- Owens Valley Radio Observatory Tour – May 6
- MAC Art & Wine: Mother’s Day Bouquets – May 9
- White Mountain Research Center Public Lecture Series– ongoing through April 30
- Minaret Cinema’s Movie Theatre
- Crowley Lake Spring Community Classes
- Mammoth Lakes Library Calendar
- Sierra Wellness Center Calendar
- Chamber of Commerce Events
Enjoy your weekend!
* * * * * * *
This complimentary message is being sent to opt-in subscribers who might be interested in its content. If you do not wish to continue receiving these messages, please accept our apologies, and unsubscribe by visiting our website at:
Please note, we will not sell or give your e-mail address to any organization without your explicit permission.
Subscribe to Recreation This Week or contact Lauren Plum at or (760) 965-3699. This is an opt-in e-newsletter and will not be sold or used for any other purpose.
Access the Recreation This Week Archive to catch up on all the news, events or programs that you missed!