Recreation This Week!
ALL RECREATION - ALL THE TIME!
Recreation This Week! is a weekly e-newsletter compiled by the Recreation Department for the community of Mammoth Lakes. In it you will find a weekly sampling of our boundless recreational opportunities in one of the world's most spectacular playgrounds.
Whether you're looking for family fun, learning new things, challenging your endurance or simply rejuvenating the soul, we hope you'll take advantage of what awaits you in Mammoth Lakes.
Recreation This Week - January 17, 2019
I hope you are all home safe and warm during blizzard watch 2019. Weather this weekend looks much more favorable so get outdoors and enjoy the holiday weekend!
- Registration for Instructional Basketball is now open. This is a FREE introductory level program for kids in first or second grade who are just becoming interested in the sport of basketball. Instructional Basketball will meet on Thursday evenings from 5:15 to 6:00 p.m. at the Mammoth Middle School Gym. Even though the program is FREE registration is still required so register today!
- The fifth session of Toddler Time starts on February 5. This three-week session is held on Tuesdays from 9:30 to 11:00 a.m. at the Mammoth Lakes Community Center. This program is open to all parents with children kindergarten age or younger. Each day will include circle time, songs, books, and a featured letter of the alphabet, a snack, and a craft project. Socialize with other parents and children while teaching your child about basic routines and tasks. Just $48 with a 50% sibling discount; payment is requested at time of enrollment, drop in rates are available. Call Carole Mills at (209) 480-2699 for more information.
- Most of the MLTS Nordic Trail System at Shady Rest Park is groomed and open to Nordic skiers, winter walkers and fat bikers! Check out the map of Shady Rest Winter Trails (non-motorized/multi-use) or the Inyo National Forest Winter Recreation Trails and explore a new trail or say hello to an old favorite this weekend!
- League play for Adult Indoor Soccer “A” League begins Sunday, January 20 and continues on Sunday evenings through March 17 in the Mammoth High School Gym. Games begin at 5:30 p.m. and play continues through 9:30 p.m. Come check out a competitive 5v5 indoor soccer game this Sunday!
- The Adult Curling League is back! Come check out a match each Sunday and Tuesday evening at 7:00 or 8:15 or try it our yourself at drop-in curling on Tuesdays from 5:00 to 7:00 at the Mammoth Ice Rink!
2019 Adult Curling League Scores – week 2
Short and Curly
I Think I’m Going To Curl
Stone Cold Curlers
Fat Bottom Curl
- Drop in play for Adult Volleyball will be on January 23 with league play beginning January 30 and continuing through April 3. Game will be each Wednesday evening at the Mammoth Middle School gym between 6:00 and 9:00 p.m. Only 1 spots left in this super fun, somewhat competitive, 6v6, recreational league! Mix it up this winter! Registration is now available online, register today!
- Yoga classes at the Mammoth Lakes Community Center begin this Sunday, January 27 from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. Suggested donation of $5-$10. Unwind and stretch after a day on the hill!
- SMG Backcountry Tours are back each Wednesday beginning January 30 and concluding on April 17. $250 for a full day of education on accessing the backcountry. Get away from the crowds and take the plunge today! Open to all levels 13 years of age and up, two people minimum required for the class to take place, equipment rentals available through SMG separately.
- Join Mammoth Film Festival and Mammoth Brewing Company on Thursday, January 17 for a party from 6:00 to 9:00 p.m. Enjoy drinks, raffle, and a free screening of Mammoth Film Festival’s Action Sports Film selections.
- Come celebrate Sierra Classic Theatre’s 20th year with 4 Plays 4 Days! Staged readings of modern plays, read aloud as they were meant to be enjoyed. A different play will be presented each evening at 7:00 p.m. beginning Thursday, January 17 and continuing through Sunday, January 19 at Edison Theatre. $5 suggested donation. Show your support and enjoy a reading this weekend!
- Woolly’s Saturday Parade continues every Saturday through the winter ski season. Come dance, sing, and celebrate with Woolly and some of his best friends from Mammoth Ski and Snowboard School each Saturday afternoon in the Village at 3:45!
- Silent DJ in the village is back this weekend, January 19-20 from 5:30 to 9:30 p.m. Get a set of head phones and bust out your best moves!
- The Bishop Elks Lodge is hosting a Murder Mystery Dinner on Saturday, January 19 at 5:00 p.m. Tickets ($30) are available at the door. Put your investigative skills to the test and help solve a mystery this weekend!
- Enjoy a family ski day at June Mountain this Saturday and follow it up with Bucky’s Bonfire, every Saturday at 3:00 p.m. Enjoy cookies, hot cocoa and a dance party with Bucky by the bonfire. The perfect family aprés ski!
- Sierra Club is hosting their Mammoth Knolls Snowshoe/Ski Outing on
- Sunday, January 20. Enjoy views of Glass Mountains and valley below with this 3 miles round trip adventure. Meet at the Union Bank parking lot at 10 a.m. to carpool to trailhead.
- Free Yin Yoga at the Sierra Wellness Center continues every Tuesday and Friday from 1:30 to 2:30 p.m. Focusing on a more passive style of yoga this class will hold stretches for longer periods of time to improve mobility in the hips and spine and gain access to deeper connective tissue. Come relax and distress with Mono County Behavior Health this week!
- ESIA’s Winter Adventure Series continues with Paya: The Water Story of the Paiute on Wednesday, January 23 at the Mammoth Lakes Welcome Center. Doors open and presentation starts at 6:00 p.m. followed by the film at 7:00. Get your tickets today!
- Drive-In Movie Night – January 25
- Chamber Music Unbound presents "The Next Generation"– January 26
- Winter Starry Skies Over Mono Lake – February 1-3
- Suite Surrender – February 7-24
- Mammoth Film Festival – February 7-11
- Eastern Sierra Audubon Monthly Bird Walk – February 9
- Sage to Summit and Inyo SAR Winter Race Series 5K - February 9
- Embrace Change with Renee Charisse Jardine – February 12
- Full Moon Snowshoe Tour – February 17-18
- Mountain Venture Summit – February 27–March 1
- MLTS 2018/2019 Winter Recreation Handout
- ESIA Winter Adventure Series
- Range of Light Winter Outings
- Mammoth Lakes Library January Calendar
- Sierra Wellness Center January Calendar
- Chamber of Commerce Events
Enjoy your weekend!
Subscribe to Recreation This Week or contact Lauren Plum at or (760) 965-3699. This is an opt-in e-newsletter and will not be sold or used for any other purpose.
Access the Recreation This Week Archive to catch up on all the news, events or programs that you missed!