Mammoth Main Base Redevelopment (Evolving Main)
What's Happening Now?
A special Town Council meeting will be held on November 29, 2023 at 3pm to discuss the Mammoth Main Base Redevelopment Project (Evolving Main). The meeting agenda and packet is available here.
Brief project updates by Town staff are being provided to the Town Council and Planning and Economic Development Commission (see previous updates under Past Meetings and Updates, below).
Fieldwork for technical studies (e.g., biological, cultural, wetland delineation, etc.) have been completed. Scopes of work for technical studies, including traffic, are being refined based on comments received during the Notice of Preparation (NOP) for a Draft Environmental Impact Report (EIR)/Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) comment period.
The NOP contained information about the project and potential environmental effects to be analyzed in the EIR/EIS.
- Review scoping comments submitted on the USFS website here
- Notice of Preparation (comment period ended December 27, 2022)
- Scoping - November-December 2022
- Draft EIR/EIS - Late 2024
- Final EIR/EIS - Fall 2025
- Project Decisions - Late 2025
Sign up here for the project email list (this email list is managed through the USFS website - please click on "Subscribe to Email Updates" under Get Connected on the right side of the webpage)
Past Meetings and Updates
- November 15, 2023 - Town Council Update
- November 8, 2023 - Planning & Economic Development Commission Update
- See October 18, 2023 Council one page update below
- Video here (update begins at 11:10 minutes)
- October 18, 2023 - Town Council Update
- August 16, 2023 - Town Council Update
- August 9, 2023 - Planning & Economic Development Commission Update
- See July 19, 2023 Council one page update below
- Video here (update begins at 48:20 minutes)
- July 19, 2023 - Town Council Update
- November 30, 2022 - EIR/EIS Scoping Meeting
- September 21, 2022 - Town Council Project Update and Presentation.
- June 16, 2021 - Joint Town Council & Planning and Economic Development Commission Workshop
USFS Mammoth Mountain Main Lodge Redevelopment webpage
In 2020, a land exchange to allow for private ownership and redevelopment of approximately 35 acres at the base of Mammoth Mountain Ski Area (MMSA) Main Lodge area was completed (see Mammoth Base Land Exchange here).
In 2021, a conceptual plan for redevelopment of the Main Base was submitted to the Town, and a joint Town Council and Planning and Economic Development Commission (PEDC) workshop was held in June 2021 (see Past Meetings, below). Subsequently, a MOU was executed between the Town, USFS, and applicant for the preparation of a joint Environmental Impact Report/Environmental Impact Statement (EIR/EIS). An EIR/EIS is the required environmental review for this project under State and Federal law.
During 2022, the applicant continued to work with the USFS and the Town to prepare for formal application submittal to the Town. In September 2022, a specific plan application (DZA 22-001, GPA 22-001) was submitted.
If you have any questions about the project or would like more information, please contact Jen Murillo, contract planner, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (805) 556-4720.