Recreation This Week!
Never Have a Slow Day in Mammoth Again!
Recreation This Week! is a weekly e-newsletter compiled by the Recreation Department for the community of Mammoth Lakes. In it you will find a weekly sampling of our boundless recreational opportunities in one of the world's most spectacular playgrounds.
Whether you're looking for family fun, learning new things, challenging your endurance or simply rejuvenating the soul, we hope you'll take advantage of what awaits you in Mammoth Lakes.
Recreation This Week - January 11, 2018
Take advantage of another holiday weekend and participate in one or more of the recreation opportunities available in and around Mammoth Lakes this week! Some suggestions below…
Parks and Recreation News…
- January is USFA National Skating Month and to celebrate we are offering FREE PUBLIC SKATE every Friday night from 7:00-10:00 p.m. and free First Time Skate Assist sessions from 4:00-6:30 p.m. at the Mammoth Ice Rink. Come skate with us on Friday nights in January!
- Mammoth Lakes’ Inaugural Curling League kicked off its season this past Sunday. League play continues on Sundays at 7:00 p.m. so come on out and cheer on your local curling league at the Mammoth Ice Rink!
- Adult Indoor Soccer A-League continues on Sunday, January 14 with drop-in play at the Mammoth High School Gym beginning at 6:00 p.m. This competitive league is designed for adults with previous soccer experience. If you do not have a team, drop-in, demonstrate your skills and get picked up by an existing team. This is the last drop-in play opportunity before league play starts the following week.
- Monday, January 15 is the start of our 6-Week Ice Skating Lessons at the Mammoth Ice Rink (canceled last week due to weather). Open to ice skating enthusiasts grades K-8 of all abilities. Register today!
- Drop-In Curling is back on Tuesday evenings from 5:00-7:00 p.m. at the Mammoth Ice Rink. Come try your hand at this Olympic sport!
- Every Tuesday and Thursday evening is adult drop-in hockey at the Mammoth Ice Rink from 7:30-9:30 p.m.
- Hot Shot Basketball continues on Tuesday and Thursday evenings at the Mammoth Middle School. Games start at 5:25 and 6:20.
- Toddler Time continues to meet on Tuesdays from 9:30-11:00 AM. Each 4-week session is $48 with a 50% sibling discount. Drop-in rates are available.
- Peapod Playgroups continue in Mammoth in Spanish on Wednesdays from 1:00-2:00 and in English on Thursdays from 10:00 to 11 am and in Crowley Lake on Fridays from 10:30 to 11:30. Sessions take place at the community center and all families with children birth to five years of age are welcome!
- Drop in Adult Volleyball starts on January 24 from 6:00-8:00 p.m. at the Mammoth Middle School. More information to come next week.
- Registration for Instructional Basketball is now open. This FREE program is for 1-2 graders who are just becoming interested in the sport of basketball. Registration is required and is available online or in person at the Town offices. Register Today!
- Mammoth Lakes Library Makerspace and Snack & Art Friday present Sculpture Challenge from Upcycled Materials. This sculpture challenge runs through Thursday, February 1 with the exhibit and judging occurring on Friday, February 2 from 3:30 until 5:00 p.m. This challenge is open to all grades 4th and up so get those creative juices flowing, schedule some makerspace time and show off your creativity to you family and friends!
- Every Saturday is Woolly’s Parade in the Village from 3:00 until 4:00 p.m. Join Woolly and friends for music, hot chocolate, dance party, and parade!
- Pabanamanina New Year Celebration Social Pow Wow is Saturday, January 13 at the Bishop Indian Education Center from 12:00-10:00 p.m. This is a free event and everyone is welcome!
- Inyo Search and Rescue along with Sage to Summit are hosting a 5K this Saturday, January 13 in Bishop. Registration starts at 8:15 and race starts at 9:00 a.m.
- Mammoth Lake Repertory Theatre presents Drunk With Hope this Saturday at 7:00 p.m. and Sunday at 4:00 p.m. This shocking and hilarious one-woman show illustrates the life of recovering alcoholic’s experience.
- The Felici Piano Trio and guest artist Rong-Huey Liu present “Welcome Bach” music by Johann Sebastian Bach on Saturday, January 13, 7:30 p.m and Sunday, January 14, 4:00 p.m. at the Mammoth Lakes Lutheran Church. Buy your ticket today!
- The Nest is hosting a Jewelry Making Workshop with Bonnie Jay on Sunday, January 14. $25 per person and includes a glass of wine!
- Tuesday Trivia night continues at Mammoth Brewing Company. This team trivia competition starts at 7:00 p.m. so grab your friends, a cold beverage, some yummy food and let the games begin!
- Winter Adventure Series kicks off on Thursday, January 18 at the Mammoth Lakes Welcome Center with Dr. Arlene Blum at 6:00 p.m. This series will continue every Thursday evening through March 1 and aims to educate, motivate, and inspire attendees with presentations, movies, and slideshows by professional athletes, photographers, filmmakers, scientist and outdoor adventurists.
- Free Entrance Day at all National Parks is Monday, January 15. Take advantage of the holiday and get outdoors in a National Park!
- U.S. Snowboard and Freeski Grand Prix starts on Wednesday, January 17 and wraps up on Sunday, January 21. Olympic teams will be announced right here in Mammoth on Saturday, January 20 and Sunday, January 21. Check out the full event schedule for more info.
- Mammoth Lakes Library presents Snacks & Science Friday: Stress Balls – January 19
- Eastern Sierra Women’s March- January 20
- Buttermilk Stewardship Project with Touchstone Climbing- January 21
- Artsy Ink Tiles with Visiting Artist Red Becky Jewelry – January 30
- Crowley Lake Community Center winter community classes schedule is now available.
Another storm in the forecast for late next week so keep working on those snow dances!
Program & Facilities Coordinator
Town of Mammoth Lakes
P.O. Box 1609
437 Old Mammoth Road, Suite R
Mammoth Lakes, CA 93546
Subscribe to Recreation This Week or contact Lauren Plum at or (760) 965-3699. This is an opt-in e-newsletter and will not be sold or used for any other purpose.
Access the Recreation This Week Archive to catch up on all the news, events or programs that you missed!